Monday 8 August 2011

August 8th 2011

Sadly we're still battling through teething today - only adds to the Monday blues when the day starts at 4.45am! 

On a cheery note, we picked up a bargain of a toy yesterday which has had me thinking all day, are the classics the best?

As we were up and about early, we went to the car boot yesterday morning. I told myself that I wasn't going to look twice at any toy, as our house looks like an explosion in Toys R Us, however for the princely sum of £3, I took home a 'vintage' Fisher Price Ferrari garage. And believe me, it's a whole lotta toy for 300 pennies.

It is literally enormous, Chops is only about 2 inches taller than it, and it's got lots of fun little features, like a lift, petrol pump, ramps and flippy bits to hold the cars in.

My lovely other half moaned as soon as he set eyes on it, calling it a monstrosity at best. The proof is in the pudding though, Chops LOVES it. 

He doesn't however love the talking Lau Lau he had for Christmas, or the magnetic Brio blocks, not even his toy keyboard. I must've spent hundreds of pounds on brand new, shiny branded toys for Chops since he arrived, and this really made me think - he doesn't need it, my bank balance doesn't need it, and the big money brands are probably just fine without my cash too. This 10 year old toy is just perfect for us.

So my tip of the day, get yourself to the car boot!

2 comments:

  1. wow For £3 that's amazing...over the yrs I can't even imagine how much I've spent on toys and where are they now...hhhhmmm either lost, broken or in the bottom of the toy box. So thanks for the tip...will definitely have look around the car boot sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loads of Rory's toys are from charity shops or passed on to us from parents of older children. he's always more enamoured with them than anything we spend money on. Tip for Christmas this year (Guy will be 2 months older than Rory was at Christmas last year) - scour Ebay for a huge lot of old toy cars - the metal ones that we used to play with back in the day. I scored a lot of about 40 for £6.00 including postage last year, bought a road play mat and set them all up on it for Christmas morning. He was OVERJOYED and hasn't stopped playing with them since. They're scratched and beaten up and about 20-30 years old and I don't mind when he loses or breaks one because they were so cheap.

    ReplyDelete